Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Astronaut eager to start speaker duty

LANGKAWI: Malaysia's first astronaut Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Sheikh Mustapha will not be giving up his job as an orthopaedic surgeon despite his newly acquired status as an astronaut.
On the contrary, he said, he would carry out his duties simultaneously -- as a space speaker and researcher, and orthopaedic surgeon and lecturer.

"I will not give up my job as an orthopaedic surgeon although I have a duty as an astronaut," he said here today.

Dr Sheikh Muszaphar, 35, is manning the Astronaut Gallery at the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) booth at the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace (Lima) 2007 exhibition which began here yesterday.

He created history when he blasted off to the International Space Station (ISS) from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan in Russia's Soyuz TMA-11 on Nov 10 and came back to earth 11 days later.
Dr Sheikh Muszaphar said he was now under a one-year contract with MOSTI until the end of 2008, after which he would return to his job at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) as an orthopaedic surgeon and lecturer.

He, however, also hoped to lead a space research team.

"I want to conduct an international-level study for the benefit of mankind when I go back to UKM and to forge cooperation with space researchers from throughout the world.

"I'm eager to start my duty as MOSTI speaker in January to share my space experience with university and school students. I wish it will begin sooner," he said.

He revealed that former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad who visited the Astronaut Gallery for 15 minutes, had also asked him about his plan.

"Dr Mahathir and his wife (Tun Dr Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali) hoped that I would help Malaysians through the talks organised by MOSTI," he said, adding that the former prime minister asked him to be diligent in his work, look after himself and safeguard the name of the country.

"Dr Mahathir said he was proud of me and hoped I would be able to change the people's mindset now that the country has its own astronauts," he said.

Dr Muszaphar said Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin and Raja Permaisuri Agong Tuanku Nur Zahirah also visited the Astronaut Gallery.

"The king asked me to safeguard the good name of the country, and to continue to contribute to the religion, people and country." -- Bernama

No comments: