Sunday, March 2, 2008

ELECTION 2008: Angkasawan may enter politics

Datuk Seri Najib Razak greeting Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Sheikh Mustapha at a meet-the-people session at the DRB Hicom plant in Pekan.

PEKAN: "If joining politics is a way of making this world a better place, then I will never hesitate to be part of it," said Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor Sheikh Mustapha.

The country's first angkasawan, who is now a crowd favourite, however, feels it is still too early for him to make any plans to venture into politics.

"I am going round to share my knowledge and experience from the angkasawan space programme."

Sheikh Muszaphar was at a meet-the-people session at the DRB Hicom plant here yesterday as part of his road tour. It was attended by students of four schools in this district and workers of the plant.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak also made a stopover at the function while campaigning in the area. Najib is seeking re-election in Pekan.

The Selangor-born astronaut said he tried to avoid talking about politics while on his road tour despite the current election fever.

"I love all the attention that I get from people as, wherever I go, they would come up to me for an autograph, picture or a simple chat on my experience at space.

"During my visits to the rural areas, many villagers and young children approach me. When I see the glow in their eyes, I am inspired.

"It gives me pleasure when 5-year-olds tell me they, too, want to go to space."

When it was suggested that being a well-known figure, and a good looking one at that, would help him do well in politics, Sheikh Muszaphar laughed. -- By T.N. Alagesh

No comments: